If something can be made with a minimum of ingredients and as fast as possible, its my kind of recipe.
This victoria sponge is simple, yet quick to make. No ‘creaming butter and sugar, then adding the eggs a little at a time…’ with this one! You just put it all in a bowl and mix.
- 200g sugar
- 200g soft margarine or butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 40z icing sugar
- 20z margarine or butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- Strawberry or raspberry jam
- Pre- heat your oven to 170/gas 5. Butter 2 round sandwich tins and line with baking paper. In a bowl, beat together all the cake ingredients to achieve a smooth batter. Then divide the mixture between the 2 cake tins, spreading to the sides. Bake for around 20 minutes, but check after 15.
- Place on a wire rack to cool; then turn out of the tins and place back onto the wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, put your icing sugar and margarine into a bowl and add the milk. Mix together for a stiff dropping consistency and a smooth butter icing.
- When the cakes are cool, spread the butter icing on the inside of one cake and the jam on the other, then sandwich together. Use as much jam as you like; I only use a small amount. Sprinkle with sugar or icing sugar to finish.
I got around 12 to 14 slices out of mine.