In all my 48 years on this earth I have never stuffed an aubergine. It’s never been one of the things I would put down on my bucket list, but more to do with something I’ve never done that would probably be advantageous and fulfilling but not especially necessary. A bit like tasting a scallop, or finally reading the chronicles of Narnia or singing at a karaoke. Some of the stuff I’d like to do, but haven’t yet got round to it.
But the other day I finally stuffed an aubergine and it was incredible. Here is my vegetarian version.
4 tbls olive oil
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
3 tomatoes (seeds removed)
2 oz white breadcrumbs
1 oz Parmesan or vegetarian cheese
grated zest of a lemon
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at gas mark 6 or 200C. Cut the aubergines in half length ways, and leaving a border of around 5mm, cut out the flesh.
- Dice the flesh and put aside. Brush the inside of the aubergines with olive oil or similar and sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking tray covered with foil, and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Fry until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed garlic and diced aubergine and cook with the onion until also lightly browned. Add the oregano, chilli flakes and chopped tomatoes (chopped small) and salt and pepper. Mix together, reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes and remove the lid at the end to let the liquid evaporate.
- Spoon this mixture into the aubergine halves. Mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle this over the top of the aubergines, and then add the cheese on top of this. You can now drizzle a little olive oil if you fancy.
- Bake them for about 15 to 20 minutes until the top is hot and bubbling.
Karaoke next week!